Thursday, July 8, 2010

Raavanan

Some performances individually were excellent, but Mani Ratnam isnt shouting through the scenes like he does in his other movies.  I felt the same in Aayudha Ezhutthu.  However, I will stop wandering around.

Cinematography by Manikandan and Sathosh Sivan is world-class.  There are no unnecessary slow-motion scenes and I think every scene individually is a treat to the eyes.  Overall outcome of the songs are not something music-fanatics would love but Mani Ratnam seems to have adopted a particular approach from which he does not want to deviate.  I would like to go overboard and speculate that may be he is trying to eliminate the songs from Indian Cinema as unhindering as it could be for the commerciality.

That brings me to speak about the music.  Allah Rakha Rahman has once again proved he gives nothing but his very best for the person who introduced him to this world.  It is Rahman's music that filled the gaps whenever the story line was cracking and gave the extra lift which makes the movie an enjoyable experience.  As usual A. R. Rahman gave his share of surprises in the movie with some unreleased songs.

Aishwarya Rai has travelled a lot in the Cinema industry after iruvar and I think Mani Ratnam put her to the test in this movie which she passed in flying colours.  Not only was her presence satisfying but her life as Raaghini is so ... ... new.  It is not traditional and with a hint of assumption of the implicit the character could become controversial.  Vikram can place this along with his best performances.  The places where Veera expresses his love for Raaghini are poetic.  The terrorism side of the movie is not worth mentioning as I think its only a backdrop for this triangular love story.



Though it seems like coherence is missing, I think this way of making a film has its quality of impact.  Our dissatisfaction towards this virtually entertaining direction could only mean that we are reluctant to let go of a Mani Ratnam who made great movies in the 90s.  This is definitely not one of Mani Ratnam's best screen-plays or one of his movies from which the dialogues seep through the society and blend with its people.  Some examples are "தொட்டாலே கம்பளிப்பூச்சி ஊருற மாதிரி இருக்கு" from Mouna Raagam or the simple "ஹே புருஷா-ஹாய் பொண்டாட்டி" from Alaippaayudhae.  But though it is not a great Mani Ratnam movie, it is a Mani Ratnam movie nonetheless.  That is to say, dont miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment